Monday, September 9, 2019

In The Beginning...

Alethia HB Cassiopia "TT" 

This journey began in 2008 while attending college for coursework in rangeland management and forage crop production.

Once I realized just how valuable goats can be to a farm I began researching everything I could find about their husbandry. I quickly decided on dairy goats as they can provide wildfire fuel breaks, AND produce some amazing, useful byproducts ie: milk, cheese, compost, and wonderful moisturizing milk soap.  Unsure as to whether or not I was disciplined enough to manage dairy animals, I set up a plan to find out. I leased a couple nubians in milk and began milking twice a day, by hand.  To my surprise I loved it! I was pretty busy, taking a full load in school, managing a household, a large vegetable and fruit garden, beehives, chickens, a high school senior, husband, and three beautiful goats. That led me to the next step... more!

In 2010, I began attending dairy goat shows to learn how to identify the most important traits for dairy animals.  I even started showing goats for friends. That was an amazing experience. You can really learn alot about structure and conformation by standing inside the ring listening to a judge evaluate the animal you're holding. 

Once I knew enough about the importance of structure, mammary attachments, and genetics, I began researching the animals that were available near me.  Many folks do not realize that there is a dairy goat genetics database. That database is invaluable and contained within, are production and type evaluations for tens of thousands of animals and the individual structural (linear) data on many more. I placed reservations on kids and prepared to bring them home.

We have been breeding nigerian dwarf dairy goats since 2013. In 2014 we participated in 305 day milk test for the first time and attended our first show with our own stock that year too. Our foundation doe SG Joyful Hearts Lilyofthevalley, VEEV 89 @ 2.4, went reserve that summer and earned her superior genetics (SG) designation that winter.

The last five years have gone by way too fast.  I lost my Mother, we gained three grandbabies, and have made a few lifelong friends that are more like family.  Our herd has grown too. We have amassed a herd that includes bucks and does from some of my all-time favorite animals including Elite does and breed leaders.  We even have a beautiful sister of one of the ADGA national champions in our herd.

This Spring we attended more shows than we ever have before in a single season, and it was a lot of fun.  The most incredible part of this journey has been the relationships we've made with friends and mentors. We have a small group of "family" that we show with.  We support eachother through thick and thin.

If you've been on the fence about starting your journey with goats, and you have the resources and space to do so, I recommend you begin like I did: research, get an experienced mentor or two, attend some shows to meet other goat breeders, and learn about conformation and production. Then, share what you learn on your journey too.


Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Have A Website

I have been raising nigerian dwarf dairy goats since 2013. This is one of my passions.  I am a member of the American Dairy Goat Associati...